If you don’t know about the series and Peaky Blinders suits, you are way behind the trends. And we at TruClothing want to fix that and explain to everyone the series and why the Peaky Blinders suit is something that every man must have. The series has created a wave of fans that want to relate with the personages in every way possible, and one of them is style of clothing and the Peaky Blinders suit in particular. But before we go any further, let’s see what is the interesting and unique thing of the Peaky Blinders suits and style of clothing.
For those, who still don’t know what a Peaky Blinders suit means, we will provide you with a brief explanation. The series is categorized as a television crime drama on BBC Two that is about a gangster family. It takes place in England in the years just after World War I. Since it first aired in 2013, the Peaky Blinders suits and series have gathered a lot of fans and their fan base continues to expand. Even though the show is based on a real story, the producers have altered the plot, but they definitely kept true to the style and Peaky Blinders suit. Many of the main characters in the series are styled in the Peaky Blinders suit and prove to everyone that the 3-piece vintage-looking suit is not dead at all.
Maybe many of us have seen the Peaky Blinders suit and gasped how amazing it looks but does somebody actually know what the suit is made of and how its tailored? If no, don’t worry! TruClothing will reveal all the secrets of this style of clothing. Even though the action takes place in England, the Peaky Blinders suit is not a typical set of garments for the British gentleman. Many experts believe that the Peaky Blinders suit is not just something to wear, but more of an instrument to divide themselves from all the classes in Britain and form their own community. For our examination we will take the main character Tommy Shelby as an exhibit and a model. Played by Cillian Murphy, Shelby has a very unique and distinguished style and, of course, Peaky Blinders suit.
Usually, Shelby’s Peaky Blinders suit and the garments of the members of the gang are made of tweed in darker colors, where the only touch of color is the tie. Shelby often wears a 3-piece Peaky Blinders suit, usually in the traditional sense – without a coat, but with a waistcoat. But that is not all. The Peaky Blinders suit is a bold combination from heavy, wool fabrics mixed with light, business suits. If we take other historically-based series, the style of the Peaky Blinders suit is very easy to replicate and it is actually very suitable for our modern way of clothing.
The most important components of the overall vision of the gangster members are the Peaky Blinders suit – that includes the shirt, trousers, coat, the cap, shoes and, of course, accessories. Now we’re going to look at every part individually so everyone will be able to understand the Peaky Blinders suit and style and modify it according to their style.
Peaky Blinders suit – the shirt
Let’s start with the garment that is essential for every Peaky Blinders suit – the shirt. The most important feature of the shirt of the Peaky Blinders suit is the detachable collar. No matter the style or the color, that was one of the most important things. You can see many styles of shirts that go with the Peaky Blinders suit, like plain white, bold lines, cuffed and etc. The round, detachable collar is an addition to the look by itself providing every man with class and style for their Peaky Blinders suit. Although nowadays is hard to find a shirt for your Peaky Blinders suit with a detachable collar, there are many substitute offers that will definitely help you complete your vintage, classic look.
Peaky Blinders suit – the trousers, jacket and waistcoat
As we already mentioned, the classic Peaky Blinders suit is a 3-piece suit that is distinguished with its slim lapels and trousers. If you really want to achieve the vintage look of the Peaky Blinders suit, you should search for tweed. That is the key to the look. Most of the Peaky Blinders suit are made from Herringbone or Donegal tweed. The suits, tailored from Herringbone tweed have a distinguished pattern and look to the garments. The Donegal tweed, used for Peaky Blinders suit is very well known in Ireland and it is associated with Country Donegal. The country in Ireland is famous for its beautiful fabrics and unique woolen blends, including the Donegal tweed, that is world renowned.
Peaky Blinders suit – the coat
The coat should complement and match the style of every suit and that includes Peaky Blinders suit as well. One of the most important features of the coat is its length and fabric, that goes great with a full Peaky Blinders suit. Usually the overcoat is in dark colors and it is single breasted (that means that the coat has only one line of button in front).
Peaky Blinders suit – the shoes
Every Peaky Blinders suit needs the best matching shoes. In this particular case- boots. Because the trousers of the Peaky Blinders suit are cropped, they require high, ankle boots with a distinguished oxford style finish. They continue the line of the suit and are in dark colors. If you really want to recreate the overall look in the series with the Peaky Blinders suit and the boots, make sure not to shine them, rather than keep them a little bit on the dirty side. Overall you want to achieve a gangster look.
Peaky Blinders suit – the hat
Many people find the hat a very important detail with the Peaky Blinders suit not only because it complements the overall look, but is essential for the plot of the series. The classic look of Tommy Shelby includes a tweed flat hat, that is usually worn by the working class. Today, we don’t have those associations and the hats are very stylish and preferred by many men.
Peaky Blinders suit – the accessories
Of course every Peaky Blinders suit needs the proper accessories which will complement the overall look. That might include a hand or a pocket watch, pocket squares and many others. This is actually up to you and you can choose what to add to your Peaky Blinders suit.
If you really want to achieve the authentic look of the Peaky Blinders suit, then here are some pointers:
- Choose a flat hat to complete your look;
- Always wear cropped trousers if you’re going to wear the same boots as in the series. If you decide to alter the Peaky Blinders suit, you can choose what’s best for your look;
- The shirt is one of the main elements of the Peaky Blinders suit and we suggest you take your time when choosing one. Adding a tie to the suit can be in your advantage;
- Accessorize – more or less, it’s up to you. But the complementary accessories will complete your look!
If you want to achieve the vintage and classic look of the Peaky Blinders suit trust TruClothing! Discover our selected garments, made with high quality fabrics and an eye for every detail!
- Mans Herringbone Check Vintage Blazer - Cavani AlbertAs low as £71.24 Regular Price £74.99
- Cavani Connall - Men's Blue Tweed Herringbone Check WaistcoatAs low as £32.29 Regular Price £33.99
- Cavani Tommy - Men's Brown Herringbone Tweed Check WaistcoatAs low as £32.29 Regular Price £33.99
- Cavani Martez - Mens Herringbone Tweed Gatsby Peaky Blinders Classic Double Breasted Waistcoat-BrownAs low as £33.24 Regular Price £34.99
- TruClothing.com STZ16 - Mens Waistcoat Wool Tan Brown Check Tweed Classic Vintage Tailored FitAs low as £32.29 Regular Price £33.99
- Cavani Sergio - Men's Tan-Brown Herringbone Check WaistcoatAs low as £32.29 Regular Price £33.99
- Cavani Kempson - Men's Tweed Check Peaky Blinders WaistcoatAs low as £32.29 Regular Price £33.99
- Cavani Macy Mens Slim Fit Double Breasted Check Retro Classic Waistcoat Smart Casual FormalAs low as £33.24 Regular Price £34.99
- Cavani Ralph - Mens Classic Tweed Check Blazer - GreyAs low as £85.49 Regular Price £89.99
- Cavani Murray - Mens Purple Wine Tweed Retro BlazerAs low as £85.49 Regular Price £89.99
- Cavani Shelby - Men's 3/4 Long Check Tweed Navy Blue OvercoatAs low as £85.49 Regular Price £89.99
- Cavani Hank - Mens 3/4 Length Crombi Herringbone Tweed OvercoatAs low as £109.24 Regular Price £114.99